[Editor’s note: I have updated my Calendar script to version 5 on 17 February 2009. Magicien de calendrier, Kalender-Zauberer, Mago del calendario, 日历巫术师, カレンダーの魔法使い, Чудодей календара.
WARNING! The information below is OUT OF DATE! ]
[Editor's note: Revised to add example 2009 Ai CS2 format files for download on 4 Dec. 2008.]
I was asked recently if I could automate the creation of calendars in Adobe Illustrator. It turns out there are a couple script for accomplishing this in InDesign (best is from sselberg), but only pre-built templates for Illustrator. If you need a new year, you’d have to search for a new template, which is lame. New script to the rescue! Thanks go to Joyce for this suggestion.
No, the script does not create the above calendar. Check out thumbcalendar.com.
Download version 3 of Calendar Script (33k). You will need version CS3 or CS4 of Illustrator.
To install new scripts you need to:
- Quit Illustrator
- Copy the files into the Illustrator application folder’s “Presets” » “Scripts” subfolder
- After restarting Illustrator you can find the scripts in the menu “File” » “Scripts”;
- TIP: You can create subfolders in the scripts folder to organize your scripts
View video demonstration of script (click to play, 9.3 megs):
There are several sizes of calendars:
- Wall calendar, large format boxed dates, 1 month fits on a page, sequential pages.
- Page calendar, 12 months fit on a letter sized page.
- Mini calendar, 12 months small enough to fit on a business card.
- Mini 1 month calendar that fits in a date square in a wall calendar.
- Illustrator lacks tables, so we have to rely on tabs and other text-only options. If you want tables, use the InDesign script mentioned above.
- Start week on Monday or Sunday?
- Track holidays?
- Create single month, full year, or range of months / years.
- Editable text
- Stylize via script font family, style, size, etc and change later via character style
- Option to put 6th week in 5th week line for wall-calendar style
- Multiple size defaults
- Multiple size calendars in single Illustrator document
- Have a GUI graphic user interface
- Use of tab stops. Now you have to redefine the paragraph style for the dayTabs.
- Colorize weekends, holidays
- Support holidays (absolute and relative)
- Moon phase icons?
- Draw day grid for wall-calendar size
- The • buttons for month and year are not working. They should take you to the current month / year.