[Editor's note: I have updated my Calendar script to version 5 on 17 February 2009. Magicien de calendrier, Kalender-Zauberer, Mago del calendario, 日历巫术师, カレンダーの魔法使い, Чудодей календара.
WARNING! The information below is OUT OF DATE! ]
[Editor's note: I have updated my Calendar script to version 4. I now support multiple languages and fixed a few bugs. New video helps users set up tabs and change character styles. Magicien de calendrier, Kalender-Zauberer, Mago del calendario, 日历巫术师, カレンダーの魔法使い, Чудодей календара.]
I was asked recently if I could automate the creation of calendars in Adobe Illustrator. It turns out there are a couple script for accomplishing this in InDesign (best is from sselberg), but only pre-built templates for Illustrator. If you need a new year, you’d have to search for a new template, which is lame. New script to the rescue! Thanks go to Joyce for this suggestion.
Download version 4 of Calendar Script (71k).
New features and bug fixes in version 4:
- Multi-lingual: Languages added for English, Deutsch, Español, Français, 中文, 日本語’, русский язык, and custom. This affects both the graphical dialog for creating the calendars and the month and day words in the calendar itself when it is created.
- No longer need to have text frame selected, one will be created for you. If a text frame IS selected, it will be used.
- Added ability to easily stylize weekend (Saturday and Sunday) dates numbers (eg gray or red).
- Equal row spacing between months checkbox now works.
- Buttons for current year and month now work.
To install new scripts you need to:
- Quit Illustrator
- Copy the files into the Illustrator application folder’s “Presets” » “Scripts” subfolder
- After restarting Illustrator you can find the scripts in the menu “File” » “Scripts”;
- TIP: You can create subfolders in the scripts folder to organize your scripts
There are several sizes of calendars:
- Wall calendar with smaller dates in box grid (you add the boxes).
- Wall mini 1 month calendar that fits in a date square in a wall calendar (prior month, next month).
- Page calendar, larger dates fill grid (no boxes).
- Page calendar, larger dates fill grid (no boxes) – 12 months at a time option.
- Mini calendar, 12 months small enough to fit on a business card.
View video demonstration of script (click to play, 9.3 megs):