[Editor's note: The latest update of the Illustrator plugin includes a collision-free rule based label engine, but it will cost you an extra license fee.]
Republished from Avenza.
MAPublisher 8.1 for Illustrator is powerful map production software for creating cartographic-quality maps from GIS data. Developed as a suite of plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator, MAPublisher leverages the superior graphics capabilities of this graphics design software for working with GIS data and producing high-quality maps with efficiency.
New Features of MAPublisher 8.1 for Adobe Illustrator
- Support for the new MAPublisher LabelPro collision-free rule-based labeling system (additional license required)
- Improved MAP Web Author Tool for automatic creation of interactive Flash maps
- New MAPublisher Preferences options for customization of various features and functions
- Split Layer function to move data to new layers based on attributes and expressions
- Enhanced Expression Builder allows import of expressions from Selection Filters
- Enhanced Plot Centroids function now has the option to copy attributes from the source area
- New Export Attribute function for exporting the attributes table to a delimited text file
- Enhanced Register Image function can now create a new MAP View from any referenced image
- New Specify Anchors functionality allows world values to be entered in any co-ordinate system
- Improved MAP View and MAP Stylesheets panels with new functionality
- Various other user interface improvements and performance enhancements to improve usability
Features of MAPublisher LabelPro
MAPublisher® LabelPro™ offers advanced labelling capabilities beyond those available in the standard MAPublisher Feature Text Label and the MAP Tagger Tool, including a sophisticated and user-friendly rule-based and collision-free placement engine.
The MAP LabelPro engine contains sophisticated algorithms based on EZ Label technology from MapText Inc. It solves many of the most common map labelling problems such as complex conflict resolution across multiple layers, the ability to specify data as obstacles and the ability to create complex labelling conventions using user defined rules.
MAPublisher LabelPro uses map attributes, rules and styles for labelling which provides a great level of sophistication and control. Map layers may be assigned an order of priority for labelling and set as label obstacles. Labels can be placed on any defined text layers, unplaceable layers can be ignored or placed. Placement rules and styles can be saved to a file and imported or shared over a network.
Users can use the following rules and placement options to place the text on their maps.