Just in time for NACIS 2012 in Portland, Oregon!
This is a followup to the earlier version 2.0.0 release candidate 2. Read more about RC2 »
- Just the changed files in rc3 over rc2 as ZIP (82 mb) »
- Listing of all 2.0.0 rc3 vector files »
- Quicklink to ZIP of all 2.0.0 rc3 vector files (290 mb) »
Please submit bugs or other oddness found release candidate 3 to myself firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. The plan is to cut a final 2.0.0 release by the end of October. View full combo change log for 2.0.0 »
- Added explicit labelrank in the admin-0 XLS doc. Also added homepart (map units, map subunits, brkaway) and tiny (country) to better deal with labeling awkwardness and adds consistency between themes and scalesets.
- Updated sr_label_i, sr_label_o on tiny_countries for better labeling.
- Added 3 new “mapcolors” for 7-up, 8-up, and 9-up into details doc and onto the admin-0 and admin-1 themes. This adds to the 13-up original. The 9-up is optimal, the others are useful in their own ways.
- Renamed the “note” in the admin-0 files to “note_adm0” and added details for Korea and Japan parts (just the exterior bits). Added AUZ note for CSI, Cayman Islands, Turks, etc.
- Added the disputed areas note directly to the admin-0 details, named “note_brk“.
- Fixed admin-0 coding with Georgia to fix map units bug. Added new Caribbean Netherlands and metropolitan Netherlands codes to reflect rejigger there.
- Added continent codes for admin-0 countries and their various parts. Stubbed out region and subregion fields, values to come later release. Thanks SmugMug!
- Removed “County” admin-0 feature class, remapping it to “Country” (Finland only).
- Removed parenthetical () from notes, see Faulkland Is. etc. Removed all claim notes except from the BRK bits in admin-0 details. Add that while labeling now (consistent with other app logic now).
- Add admin-0 diffs for sov, adm0, map units, map subunits, and disputed areas are now calculated on the a3 code, not the name. This can be used for progressive labeling, fixing problems in Tanzania and elsewhere. You still need logic in your app to determine if the labeling name is different, but now it’s consistent.
- Added Taiwan to disputed areas. Renamed Congos (eg Democratic Republic of Congo instead of Congo (Kinshasa)).
- Modified the scalerank of Venezuala claim into Guyana boundary line fix 10m theme. Similar for the Saichen Glacier.
- Changed the scaleranks on all 10m claim polys. Most now appear at scalerank 6 and in.
- For labeling, added name_len to the admin 1 and admin 0 details and themes.
- Changed several scaleranks of marine label areas in 10m and 50m themes.
- Added continent code for roads (partial) so North America and Europe can be separated out easier. Might build topology for roads in final release to make future cleanup easier.
- Updated, added new Airports by rerunning export from Mile High Club, with better field names.
- Updated, added new Ports by rerunning export from High Seas, with better field names. This added inland ports especially along the North American Great Lakes.
- Promoted a few populated places up to scalerank 1 and 2 to give better balance to compilation. Many cities have more accurate pop_max values (partial, more due in final release). Thanks for the nudge Craig!
- National park (protected areas) points were missing “name”. Some reranking for park points in urban centers (to scaleranks 7, 8, 9). A couple park areas reranked around scalerank 3. Added Cesar Chavez NM and added missing unit_codes for Clinton Birthplace NHS and River Raisin NBP. Thanks Tom!
- Add admin_0 alpha3 codes to boundary lines to allow better selection (grab the boundaries of USA only, for instance). Also added left and right names to allow better admin-0 line labeling on zoom in.
- Parts of Chile and Cyprus were missing in derived admin-0 themes (were present in scale rank masters) so modified some label points so their scalerank is now <= 6 for admin-0 selection. These had been 7 and 8.
- Removed old versions of admin-1 lines from the ZIPs.
- Added left and right names for admin_1 boundary lines for better labeling once zoomed in. Because native names are in UTF8 (from the polygons), also added a “master” lines version in GeoDB format along with the SHP version, sidestepping character encoding problems. Thanks Mamata and Mike!
- The admin-1 boundary between Tasmania and mainland Australia is now straight (thanks Craig!). Adjusted admin-1 boundaries in Bhutan to match new admin-0 disputed areas and boundaries.
- Added Australia and Brazil admin-1 lines and polys to 50m. Redid the 50m and 110m admin-1 attributes (lines, polys) to match the 10m. Added scale_rank version of the polys at 50m and 110m to allow for easier updates. Recut a lakes erase version of the 50m admin-1, but now using lakes with scalerank <= 0 instead of 1 (North America’s Great Lakes, but not Florida or Utah lakes) at Mike Bostock’s suggestion.
- Modified scaleranks on the 10m urban areas and copied those over to the 50m urban areas. Deleted a bit of 10m urban on Mt. Hood, Oregon snowfield.
- Redid marine label area scale ranks.
- Removed duplicate Laccadive Is. from 10m-geography-regions.
- Fixed river scalerank bug in 10m theme in Canada for the Nelson River leading out of Lake Winnipeg, thanks Gregor!
Still to do for final release:
- Rebuild the 10m, 50m, and 110m admin 0 themes using the new details. Add area_sqkm to all themes after build.
- Merge in modified 10m China, Taiwan admin-1 from a fork, thanks Chunshek!
- Merge in modified cities in China, Taiwan from a fork, thanks Chunshek!
- Merge in modified 10m lakes from a fork, thanks Craig!
- Resolve ne_10m_railroads_beta1_north_america_original.shp
- Finish adding continent codes on 10m roads, this might involve adding topology to crack geoms.
- Include PRJ files with each GeoTIFF, for Jody and the uDig app on OSGeo disk.
- Update quickstart MXD, QGIS docs with new file names, paths, field names / values.
Tags: natural earth