[Editor's note: A new version of the venerable NewsMap app, the Google News treemap visualization. Refreshed for it's 5 year birthday.]
Republished from Newsmap.jp.
Background: Newsmap is an application that visually reflects the constantly changing landscape of the Google News news aggregator. A treemap visualization algorithm helps display the enormous amount of information gathered by the aggregator. Treemaps are traditionally space-constrained visualizations of information. Newsmap’s objective takes that goal a step further and provides a tool to divide information into quickly recognizable bands which, when presented together, reveal underlying patterns in news reporting across cultures and within news segments in constant change around the globe.
Long time overdue, here comes newsmap 2.0
The new url is at http://newsmap.jp
Still working on a couple of bugs and really trying to push some features I still think as essential.
New in 2.0 is:
- rectangularized treemap layout: To accommodate text properly, cells are as rectangular as possible, this there’s more room for headlines without chopping them off in several lines.
- search as you type: try the new search on the top right, see how newsmap updates.
- deep linking: you can now deep link to any state of the app. just try updating your view, and notice how the url changes. You can grab and share that url with anyone.
More to come:
- custom tabs: save your search query as a new tab
- custom feeds: add your own RSS feeds to the map
- stats: learn more about your news and how you consume them!
And much, much more!