Warning, contains spoilers for my NACIS Practicle Cartography Day presentation in Missoula, Montana. Countdown: less than 10 days!
I have been developing a plugin / script for Adobe Illustrator to make it easier to select type in Illustrator by attributes like font family, style, size, and fill color. I hope to release this as a commercial plugin for designers and cartographers first quarter 2009. If you would like to beta test this plugin for me, please send me an email at email@example.com.
What is this tool and why would you use it?
- A magic wand for clicking on text and selecting like-styled text
- A non-modal eye dropper tool for copying font attributes and pasting them onto other text objects without directly eye dropping (like Freehand’s copy and past attributes).
- Menu items for Select > Type > Same font, same style, same size, same font color, overprinting, etc
- A pro version of the Find Fonts dialog already in Illustrator that does find / replacing in locked and hidden layers, or only in the active layer, sublayer, or window view.
Turning the script into a plugin will bring several benefits:
- Speed: much faster execution
- Work with 1,000s of type objects / characters, not 100s
- Menu items that can be assigned keyboard shortcuts
- Can be recorded with Actions for automating routine tasks
- New tool: magic wand for text and non-modal eyedropper for text font appearances
- Applying / creating character styles:
- Cartographer: ArcMap text imported to Illustrator >> have plugin apply matching style or create new styles that match each of the implicate styles
- Designer: Quickly comp out a design and select all matching text with certain font attributes with the new Text magic wand tool and make them styles. Great for deadline projects.
- Find and Replace fonts on hidden and locked layers
Selecting by Font Color – Basic
Including exactly the same color, pattern, swatch, same color mode, by character and by object.
View video – 7.8 megs
Selecting by Font Color – Advanced
Including selecting type object NOT a color and overprints, replacing with knockout.
View video – 17.2 megs
Changing Alignment and Registration of Type
Includes limiting to just point, area, or line type objects
View video – 11.0 megs
Why Change the Registration for Point Type?
To scale type size when it is registered to a townspot or other graphic element.
View video – 1.1 meg
Limit your selection to active layer, sublayer, current view, selection, artboard/page, and document.
View video – 20 megs
Finding by Text Content
Find all type that has the “River” or “Road” or “Street” in it and then change those text range’s attributes. Options include Is, Starts, Ends, and more.
View video – 13.5 megs
Replacing by Text Contents
With exact phrase or add to the end or beginning of the matched text.
View video – 9.3 megs
This dialog is similar to what’d you see for the planned “magic wand” for type tool settings. Thanks to Tom for this suggestion!
View video – 7.6 megs